Thursday, March 24, 2016

How to Stick with Your New Year Resolution

new year resolution, clean eating, diet, lose weight, feel good, healthy lifestyle, goals, setting goals, changing your mindset, fitness coach, nutrition

Come January every year, the same thing is always true.  It is always filled with people resolving to eat better, lose weight, save more money, and get more organized.  Gyms LOVE this time of year as the influx of new members flood their doors.  I know this all too well because I've done this year after year.  I'm sure I have joined a gym a dozen times and have spent thousands of dollars on this cycle.  I get all excited and start a plan, go daily for the first month, then a couple times a week for the next few weeks, and then slowly but surely it fades away.  I keep shelling out the monthly fee with hopes of going, but I fail. I'm sure you know what I mean....sound familiar?

5 years ago I resolved to FINALLY stop that cycle.  I DID NOT join a gym.  I devised a plan, connected with a coach, and I started my lifestyle change.  5 years later I have succeeded!  70 pounds lighter and a whole lot more confident and healthy.  I'm finally comfortable in my own skin. I can actually play with my kids without feeling exhausted.  I feel better, physically, than I did when I was in my twenties.  I am LOVING LIFE!  On top of this all, I have created the BEST friendships with people who are also fit-minded.  I've paid off thousands in debt, becoming 100% consumer debt free.  My weight loss resolution changed my life is so many more ways than just physically.  Besides marrying my husband and having my precious babies, it has been the best thing that has ever happened to me.
How to stick with your resolution:

1. Set your GOALS: If you are wanting to change your body, think of a goal based upon size.  Something that I have learned along the way is that pounds do not dictate size.  Two people can have the same weight, yet be completely different in size.  There are factors that come in to play like height and muscle mass.  A pound of fat takes up more space than a pound of muscle.  Therefore, the scale is not an accurate way to gauge progress on your goals.  Instead, set your goal based on your body shape and composition.  Determine your body fat percentage, take your measurements, and photograph yourself in minimal clothing.  This will be the truest form of measuring your change and progress on your goals.
Click HERE for your FREE account with access to fitness tools, goal tracker, and more!

2. Devise a PLAN: First, determine your fitness level.  There are options out there for EVERYONE, even if your mobility is limited.  If you have medical restrictions, be sure to check with your doctor before starting any program.  Next, evaluate your current nutrition.  Are you eating clean, unprocessed whole food, shopping the perimeter of the grocery store? or...Do you tend to go with quick and easy pre-made, boxed and bagged foods?  Are you taking a daily multi-vitamin?  If you find yourself having cravings during the day, you are probably lacking in essential nutrients.

3. Change your MINDSET: The ONLY way that you can fail at this is if you quit.  Your change won't happen overnight.  You did not get into the shape you are in by one or two bad choices.  It has been a culmination of a series of choices over a given amount of time.  Getting healthy will happen in the same kind of way.  It's a compound effect of the choices you make.  If you make better choices, compounded over time, you will make positive changes in yourself!  You just have to start!!  You are human and you will have bad days, you will not be 100% on target every single moment and that is perfectly normal and fine.  You won't sabotage yourself by indulging in life every now and then.  What will matter is what you do on a daily basis.  Secondly, rid your mind of the words "I'm on a diet".  Diets do not work and won't make you happy.  Instead just focus on eating healthy, reading labels and viewing your food as your fuel.
Click HERE to read more about Clean Eating.

4. CONNECT with like-minded people: Thank goodness for social media because there are thousands upon thousands of groups on any topic you can think of out there.  There are a plethora of health and fitness support groups to join.  When you are a part of a community of other people who are focused on their goals, and you have a sense of accountability and motivation from that group, you are more likely to stick to your goals and succeed. TRUTH!  And, I will coach your for FREE.  I work on myself daily and participate with you.  If you would like for me to be your coach, click HERE.
Click HERE to join my FREE online Facebook group for daily motivation and accountability.

5. Set your SCHEDULE: We are all so very busy with our families and our jobs and just getting in all things in a day.  But, you MUST make time for yourself in order to do everything else very well.  The best gift you can give your family, is a healthy YOU!  Oh, and when you are healthy....it naturally creates happiness!  Who would not want that?  First, schedule your workouts like it's an important meeting that you cannot miss.  Schedule it for the same time each and everyday.  Find a time that will work into your schedule, maybe early in the morning or late in the evening.  It will be hard at first, but eventually, it will become routine just like brushing your teeth.  You will gain more energy and your endorphins will be on a high!

6. PLAN YOUR MEALS in advance:  I guarantee that when you plan your meals in advance, you will not only save money, but you will save on the frustration of figuring out "what's for dinner?", and also will save on calories because when we don't have a plan we often opt for the quick and easy, which is usually not so good for us.  You will also find that you waste less food because it actually will get eaten instead of being left sitting in the fridge to eventually get tossed out.  So, here’s what I do every Sunday morning, and it’s quite simple!...
I look in the freezer to see what kind of meat I have available. I ask my family what they want to eat for the week. If I don’t know how to make the meal/s from memory, I locate a healthy recipe.  I really like the blog “100 Days of Real Food”, and I have a library of healthy, clean eating cookbooks.  For example, Tosca Reno’s books on Clean Eating are great!  I also subscribe to “Eating Well”, “Cooking Light”, and “Food Network” magazines.  These have really good recipes, but you can also find a lot of great ones on the internet.  Just pay attention to the ingredients and make sure they call for unprocessed ingredients, and watch the sodium content.  I think about my week and what I’ve got going on.  If we have an evening activity, on these days I make sure that my dinner meal is something that I can prep or cook beforehand and reheat, or something that is quick.  Then I go through each recipe and determine what I’ve already got in the house and what I need to get and this is how I build my grocery list.  I make sure to write down our dinner menu plan somewhere visible so I don’t forget that I’ve got a plan!  And it’s a good reminder to the rest of the family when they start wondering “What’s for dinner?” I do all my grocery shopping on Sundays and then I spend some time on Sunday prepping the meals for the week, i.e. thaw and marinate the meat, cut up veggies, make soups for lunch, pre-cook my whole grains like quinoa, farro, brown rice, make salad dressings, etc.   When you’ve got the work done beforehand, dinner is not such a chore.  Since I’ve been meal planning, my grocery bill for a family of 6 has been less than $100 per week.   I purchase all my meat in bulk at Costco and then portion it out and freeze.

7. Last but not least...Determine your WHY:  You must be thinking that your life needs to improve, or else you would not be reading this.  We all have choices and our lives are guided by the decisions we make.  Your reason why you want to be healthy and fit should be so powerful, so you need to dig deep.  When you feel like giving up, reflect back to why you want to make a change in the first place and this should keep you grounded.  For example, my reason why is because I have 4 children that need their mother to live a long and healthy life for them and to be a good role model so that they learn how to live to the fullest and with the highest quality of life.  I don't want them to struggle like I have or to ever feel uncomfortable in their skin.  Starting them on the right path is extremely high on my list of priorities.  They are the reason why I get up every single day and keep going.

Your determination and dedication to yourself is critical.  If you truly want to make a change, you HAVE to change what you are currently doing.  If you need help, please reach out to me.  I have brand new groups starting each month and based upon your needs, I can help you come up with a plan and stick to it!  Email me at karlaobrienfitness@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment