Monday, April 25, 2016

Chipotle Inspired Burrito Bowl - 21 Day Fix Friendly




Seriously, who doesn't love a burrito bowl from Chipotle?  A couple years ago it was my go-to dinner when I had not planned and prepped, and definitely one of the healthier options you can choose for fast food.  I got to thinking that the ingredients are nothing complicated at all and usually I have everything I'd need in my fridge anyways, so on those nights when things don't go as planned, it's one of those meals that you can quickly whip up, and for very little cost!  If you did plan in advance and have it on the menu, you can prepare some of this ahead of time and have it mostly ready, making dinner time simple.  Good nutrition does not have to be complicated!

If you have a family, this is also super FAMILY FRIENDLY.  It can appeal to everyone, while allowing you to stay within your portion guidelines.  My kids especially love it because they can pick and choose their ingredients and build their own meals with the foods they eat....and the best part ---> without complaint!



All the ingredients listed below are based upon your preference, but can be used in your burrito bowl:

 - Brown rice with chopped cilantro and freshly squeezed lime juice (YELLOW)
 - Sauteed fajitas peppers and onions seasoned to taste with cumin and chili powder (GREEN)
 - Freshly made pico de gallo (PURPLE)
 - Freshly grated cheese (BLUE)
 - Homemade quacamole (BLUE)
 - Black beans whole, or smashed (YELLOW)
 - Shredded romaine lettuce (GREEN...or free - what the heck, it's only lettuce ;)
 - Grilled chicken breast, lean steak, ground turkey, or shrimp all seasoned with
   cumin and chili powder (RED)
 - Plain Greek yogurt (RED)

Pico De Gallo:
4 ripe roma tomatoes
1 small yellow onion
1 jalepeno with the seeds removed for a milder taste, or with the seeds for a spicier taste
1 cup of chopped cilantro
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper to taste

Guacamole:
2 ripe avocados, smashed
1/2 small red onion chopped
1 cup of chopped cilantro
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and Pepper to taste

To assemble, use your Portion Fix containers to measure out the perfect portions and begin layering your bowl based upon your daily allowance.  I like to begin with the rice on the bottom, and end with a dollop of guacamole on top.  There is no wrong way.  I wind up mixing mine all up anyways. 

I hope you enjoy this meal as much as my family and I do!  After making our own burrito bowls at home, I prefer the homemade version now to Chipotle's! 








No comments:

Post a Comment